|Date and Time||March 12, 2021 15:00 – 17:00 (JST)|
10:00 – 12:00 (Abu Dhabi Time)
08:00 – 10:00 (Cairo Time)
Updated: 08 March 2021
RCAST is pleased to announce the 4th RCAST Security Webinar on “Frontiers of Security the Present Day Egypt is Faced With: Generational Transformation of Media, Cyber-Attacks and Public Health Crisis in the Middle East.”
This online seminar is jointly organized by ROLES (RCAST Open Laboratory for Emergence Strategies) and IGSDA (Institute for Global Security and Defense Affairs, Abu Dhabi and Cairo) as part of a series of seminars collectively titled “Geopolitical Dynamism in the Wider Middle East Region.”
4 distinguished speakers will grapple with new security threats Egypt is faced with. The seminar covers such topics as media and generational transformations since the upheaval a decade ago, cyber-terrorism/crimes as well as the pandemic and breakdown of the healthcare system.
The discussion will be open to invitees and a limited member of the public. Presentations and discussions are held in English, and no interpretations are provided.
RCAST Security Webinar Series #4
“Frontiers of Security the Present Day Egypt is Faced With: Generational Transformation of Media, Cyber-Attacks and Public Health Crisis in the Middle East”
March 12, 2021 15:00 – 17:00 (JST)
Speakers and presentation titles
(1) MG (Rtd) Dr. Sayed Ghoneim, Senior Strategist and Chairman, Institute of Global Security and Defense Affairs (IGSDA)
“Origins of the New Security Threats”
(2) Mr. Ahmed M. El Dereiny, Presenter and the Head of Documentary Unit at DMC Network, Cairo, Egypt
“The New Generation of Egyptian Media: The Empire Strikes Back?”
(3) Dr. Mohamed Elguindy, Cyber Security Expert, TV Presenter, Cyber Security Advisor to the Assistant of the Prime Minister of Egypt and Digital Transformation Expert, Public Prosecution Office, Egypt
“Cyber Technology and Cyber Crimes in the Middle East Politics and Conflict”
(4) Prof. Sameh S. Ali, Global Health Security Expert and Head of the Research Unit of Oncology, Children’s Cancer Hospital 57357 in Cairo
“Middle Eastern Responses to COVID-19 Crisis”
Moderator: Satoshi Ikeuchi, Professor of Religion and Global Security, RCAST, the University of Tokyo and Head of the ROLES (RCAST Open Laboratory for Emergence Strategies)
Moderator and Speakers’ Bio
Prof. Satoshi Ikeuchi:
MG (Rtd) Dr. Sayed Ghoneim:
Ahmed M. El Dereiny is a journalist, documentary producer and TV presenter and currently the Head of the Documentary Unit at DMC Network which is the largest cable tv network based in Cairo, Egypt
Dr. Mohamed Elguindy:
Prof. Sameh S. Ali:
“Geopolitical Dynamism in the Wider Middle East Region” series is jointly organized by ROLES (RCAST Open Laboratory for Emergence Strategies) of the University of Tokyo and IGSDA (Institute for Global Security and Defense Studies) and composed of 4 parts.
(1) “New Great Game for the Red Sea and the Horn of Africa,” January 22, 2021, 15:00-17:20 (Japan Time)
(2) “Strategic Rivalry in the East Mediterranean Sea,” February 12, 2021, 15:00-17:00 (Japan Time)
(3) “Security Threats in Sahel and Sub-Sahara Regions,” February 26, 2021, 15:00-17:00 (Japan Time)
(4) “Frontiers of Security the Present Day Egypt is Faced With: Generational Transformation of Media, Cyber-Attacks and Public Health Crisis in the Middle East,” March 12, 2021, 15:00-17:00 (Japan Time): This Event
This is part of the RCAST Security Webinar supported by RCAST, the University of Tokyo.
This is partially funded by the research project “Japan’s Choices in the Era of Inter-Regime Competition: Policy Proposals and Information Sharing based on Long-term Scenario Planning in Search for the Proactive Role in the Emergence of the New International Order” funded by MOFA of Japan’s research grant.
Categories: Open to members of The University of Tokyo and to Invitees